The Ashburn retirement community hosts the annual dog show in honor of Adopt-a-Shelter-Dog Month
(Ashburn, Va.) – On October 8th, Ashby Ponds retirement community hosted their second annual Ashby Ponds Canine Cup dog show. Nearly one dozen four-legged members of the Ashby Ponds community paraded around the Great Oak Lawn and into the hearts of spectators and guest judges. In partnership with Loudoun County Animal Services, the community hosted the Canine Cup in honor of Adopt-a-Shelter-Dog Month (October) and collected new and unused toys, treats, and food for the local Loudoun County Animal Shelter.
Ashby Ponds is a pet-friendly community and is home to over 75 dogs, as well as cats, birds, and turtles! Many of the dogs that reside at the community have been adopted from shelters or rescued, including several of those that competed in the Canine Cup. They are now basking in the good life at Ashby Ponds meeting new friends and neighbors – both human and non-human!
This year, two special guest judges joined Ashby Ponds for the 2015 Canine Cup including Officer Jennifer Henry, an Animal Control Officer with Loudoun County Animal Services, and Dusty Smith, Editor of Ashburn Rising. Eleven resident dogs competed in four different competitions including Best Dressed, Best Trick, Waggiest Tail, and Most Expressive Face. A Best in Show winner was also selected:
Best Dressed: Joey
- Joey is an 8-year-old Standard Poodle. He enjoys playing with other dogs at Ashby Ponds, including his best friends Lucy, Ami, and Dusti. Joey also loves to run! This year, Joey won the Best Dressed category for his priest/minister attire!
Best Trick: Lucy
- Lucy is a 5-year-old Bassett Hound. She loves to play with her friends Joey and Dusti at Ashby Ponds. A complete rollover earned Lucy the award for Best Trick this year!
Waggiest Tail: Tillie
- Tillie is a 9-year-old Cairn Terrier. She loves greeting people, and she sure knows how to show it! Tillie won the award this year for Waggiest Tail!
Most Expressive Face: Zoey
- Zoey is an 8.5-year-old Shih Tzu mix. She was adopted by her Ashby Ponds "Mom" when her first owner could no longer care for her. Zoey shows her appreciation through her winning expression, earning herself the Most Expressive Face award this year.
Best in Show: Nimbus
- Nimbus is a 15-year-old Puli, whose favorite activities include going for walks and sleeping! Nimbus' showing at the Canine Cup earned the Best in Show distinction!
About Ashby Ponds: Ashby Ponds, one of 18 retirement communities managed by Erickson Living, is situated on a scenic 132-acre campus in Ashburn, Virginia (approximately 30 miles west of Washington, D.C.). The community is home to over 1000 residents and more than 120 resident-run and resident-driven clubs and groups, an indoor pool, a fitness club, transportation services, 24-hour security, and flexible dining options. More information about Ashby Ponds can be found at www.ericksonliving.com.