John O'Donnell, LAT, ATC, brings his expertise in athletic training and senior fitness to his role at Maris Grove, the senior living community in Glen Mills, Pennsylvania, developed and managed by Erickson Living.
As Fitness Manager, O'Donnell supervises the fitness staff and oversees the daily operations of all fitness and aquatic facilities on campus. He also provides group exercise instruction, personal training, and promotes fitness opportunities to all Maris Grove residents.
O'Donnell is a certified athletic trainer and holds dual certifications from the National Strength & Conditioning Association as a certified strength and conditioning specialist and a certified personal trainer.
Here are his five tips for seniors to stay healthy in the New Year.
- Get Started: There is never a perfect time to start a Fitness Program so why not NOW.
- Easy does it: If you are beginning a Fitness Program or adding a new component to a program don't overdo it. Start easy and gradually progress paying attention to what your body is telling you.
- Diversify: Add variety to your Fitness Program by including aerobic, strength, flexibility and balance exercises to your workout. This will give you well rounded results and will keep your program interesting.
- Change: Making frequent changes/adjustments to your Fitness Program will improve your results and reduce the chance of plateauing.
- Stay With It: Consistency is the most important component to any Fitness Program. To see the best results exercise must be done on a regular basis.
*Bonus Tips: Age is just a number – take it into consideration when deciding on where to start your Fitness Program but don't let it be a barrier to where your Fitness journey take you.
"It's easy to maintain an active lifestyle at Maris Grove," said O'Donnell. "Residents can participate in our group exercise classes, workout at one of our fitness centers, swim in the all-season pool, and take a walk around our beautiful campus. Plus, our fabulous fitness staff is available to help our residents get and stay fit and realize their wellness goals."
For more information on Maris Grove, visit www.marisgrovecommunity.com.
About Maris Grove: Maris Grove, one of 20 continuing care retirement communities developed and managed by Erickson Living®, is situated on a scenic 87-acre campus in Glen Mills, Pennsylvania. The community is located in Delaware County and is home to more than 1,600 residents. Additional information about Maris Grove can be found at MarisGrove.com.
Photo: Cathie White works out at Maris Grove's fitness center with fitness specialist Christian Mitchell.