Why utilizing professional help makes all the difference
If you're thinking about selling your house and moving to a maintenance-free community like Seabrook, an Erickson Living managed senior living community in Tinton Falls, NJ, it's not too late to take action. According to real estate experts, summer is the busiest time in the real estate industry. And it's even busier this year in New Jersey with limited inventory on the market and motivated buyers.
"It's true that most people tend to move during summer months. When you consider the time it takes to market your house and settle on a property, many homes start getting listed earlier in the year," says Sharon Baksa with Erickson Realty and Moving Services. "Serious buyers are always looking, so the earlier you list your house, the less competition you'll face," she adds.
Is it already too late to get started? Not for those moving to Seabrook. Seabrook's sales team offers complimentary assistance to get their house ready for the market, including downsizing, selection of a real estate agent, and recommendations for trusted moving companies and other professionals.
"Whether you want to move to Seabrook in two weeks or two years, we can help you get your house sold so you can start enjoying the Erickson lifestyle whenever you're ready," Baksa says.
Tips for a successful sale and easy move
- Schedule an in-home or virtual visit with Seabrook to assess your house with a buyer's eye. A Seabrook sales staff member will help you identify problem areas that need to be repaired, like peeling paint, broken fixtures, and old carpeting. They can also recommend trusted repair people to complete those projects.
- Get organized. One of Seabrook's specialties is helping clients decide what they'll bring to their new Seabrook apartment home and planning exactly where those items will fit using a magnetic floor plan and miniature furniture pieces. By visualizing your new home, it's easier to part with unnecessary items that you may choose to gift, donate, or sell.
- Brighten up. Repaint the interior of your house with light, lively neutral colors.
- Wash windows and repair screens. You may not notice film or fingerprints on your windows, but buyers will. And cleaning them will bring more light into your home. To repair screens, simply take them to a local hardware store. Not up for washing windows? Seabrook can recommend a local window washer, too.
- Revamp your entryway. Real estate professionals agree, one of the best ways to win over buyers is with a stunning entryway. It's often an overlooked area of the home, because most homeowners enter their house from the garage or side door. But buyers will enter through the main entrance, so you have a grand opportunity to give a great first impression of your home's interior. Spruce up your entryway with a cute coat hook, throw rug, bench, or console table depending on the size and layout of your space.
- Refresh décor with inexpensive updates. Textiles like pillows, throws, duvet covers, and towels in bright white bring a lively freshness to your space for a low cost.
- Kick smells to the curb. Clean carpeting and drapes to eliminate cooking odors, smoke, and pet smells. Open windows to air out your home. Diffusing essential oils like lemongrass, citronella, and rosemary can refresh your home with a clean scent.
- Tidy up your yard. Trimmed trees and shrubs, a freshly mown lawn, and mulched flower beds ensure you'll have the best looking yard on the block. Make sure leaves are raked and sticks picked up. If there's no snow on the ground, have fresh mulch laid. Choose dyed mulch so the color stays vibrant longer. Plant small evergreen shrubs in pots or urns and place at your front door. And make sure all gardening tools and yard waste are out of sight.
- Lock up valuables, jewelry, and money. You will have potential buyers touring your house, so don't leave anything tempting out. Use a safe or safe deposit box at your bank to store valuables.
- Set the right price. Your real estate agent can help you choose an appropriate list price, but Seabrook's advice can help you make an educated decision. "Research closed sales for homes comparable in style and size for the past 90 days within a one-mile radius of your house. Take an average and pinpoint your listing price," Baksa says. You'll also want to check out the current active homes on the market to get an idea of your competition and make sure your listing price is comparable. "Listen to your real estate agent's advice. We recommend trusted agents familiar with your neighborhood, and we consistently see fewer days on market and higher sale prices than folks who do not use our services," Baksa says.
How do you gain access to Seabrook's trusted moving professionals? "Join the priority list so that we can schedule an in-home visit or phone or virtual appointment, discuss floor plan options, and explore what works best for you," Baksa says. Seabrook currently has low inventory, so it's important to explore your options and know what will work for your lifestyle and needs. That way, you'll be ready to reserve when the right apartment home becomes available.
To learn more about Seabrook, visit SeabrookCommunity.com.
About Seabrook: Seabrook, one of 20 continuing care retirement communities developed and managed by Erickson Living®, is situated on a scenic 98-acre campus in Tinton Falls, New Jersey. The not-for-profit community of more than 1,400 residents and 750 employees is governed by its own board of directors, affiliated with National Senior Campuses, who provide independent financial and operational oversight of the community. Additional information about Seabrook can be found at SeabrookCommunity.com.