Tribune Print Share Text

Ask Dr. Narrett: What's your medical question?

Created date

April 30th, 2009
Please note: The following questions were submitted by readers. Please remember the answers are general, and you should always talk to your doctor before following any suggestions. I am 77 with multiple health conditions. Should I try to find a geriatrician to be my doctor? A:A geriatrician would be a great choice for you because they spend more time with each patient and specialize in treating more than one condition. However, in 2007 there were only about 7,000 geriatricians available in the U.S. to serve 30 million adults. For a list of geriatricians closest to you, call the American Geriatrics Society s Foundation for Health in Aging at 1-800-563-4916. I play sports in an over-50 baseball league, and I get knee pain. After having an X-ray, the doctor said it was the meniscus. What s next? A: Depending on the severity of your condition, there are a number of options to consider from medicine to physical therapy to surgery. If you can tolerate an anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen, it may help with the pain and inflammation. At this point, it is best to discuss the pros and cons of available treatments with your doctor. I got MRSA from hip surgery and am taking medication for it. Can you tell me what it is and what I should do to get better? A:MRSA is a type of infection caused by a bacterium (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus). The majority of MRSA infections occur in people with weakened immune systems in hospitals or other health settings. In the 1990s MRSA started showing up outside of health care settings, and one explanation was the overuse and misuse of antibiotics. Most MRSA infections are treatable, so be sure to finish your prescription even if it s getting better.